Learn All About Nutrition and Personal Training in Our Courses
Posted 26 September 2023
Nutrition and personal training go hand in hand, with some suggesting that nutrition coaching forms an essential part of the future of personal training. After all, exercise and a healthy diet are the perfect combination for best results!
The Low Down on Nutrition and Personal Training
For those who don’t know, nutrition is a particular branch of science that looks at nutrients and nutrition. It looks specifically at the relationship between nutrients in the foods and supplements we eat/take with vital bodily functions such as growth, maintenance and health.
When it comes to giving nutritional advice as a personal trainer, there are some guidelines which you should follow. For example, if you have not completed extensive training in nutrition, it is crucial to stay away from giving medical nutritional advice, i.e. for a client who has diabetes, you can not provide them dietary medical advice. In short, if you are not a registered dietician or a doctor, you cannot legally advise on the following areas:
- You cannot prescribe diets/supplements to treat any medical conditions
- You cannot prescribe diets/supplements to treat the symptoms of any medical conditions
- You cannot diagnose any medical conditions
The Register of Exercise Professionals on nutritional advice states that personal trainers should avoid providing prescriptive nutritional advice or developing bespoke individualised nutrition plans for clients.
As long as you stay away from advising your clients in any of these areas, you can give your clients nutritional advice to provide general advice on healthy eating.
The Personal Training course at The Training Room covers all aspects of Gym Instruction and Personal Training. This Active IQ Level 3 course also allows entry onto the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs). It will give you a fully comprehensive understanding of all the skills you need to be a personal trainer.
The course covers the following areas, taking you through the steps to become a qualified gym instructor (Level 2) before completing the Level 3 modules to become a personal trainer:
- Health, Safety and Welfare Within a Fitness Environment
- Anatomy and Physiology for Exercise
- Principles of Fitness, Health and Exercise
- Plan Gym-Based Exercise
- Instruct Gym-Based Exercise
- Support Clients
- Anatomy and Physiology for Health and Exercise (Level 3)
- Principles of Nutrition to a Physical Activity Programme (Level 3)
- Programming Personal Training with Clients (Level 3)
- Deliver Personal Training Sessions (Level 3)
Our nutrition course will enhance your career by providing you with the knowledge and understanding of the human body and exactly what it needs to function, which you can use to support your clients.
This qualification includes TQUK Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Nutrition and Health and Focus Awards Level 4 Certificate in Nutrition for Weight Management and Athletic Performance. When you’ve completed the course, you’ll have learnt the following topics:
- Principles of Healthy Eating
- Nutritional Needs of a Variety of Individuals
- Use Food and Nutrition Information to Plan a Healthy Diet
- Principles of Weight Management
- Eating Disorders
- Principles of Food Safety for the Home Environment
- Systems of the Human Body (Level 4)
- Human Metabolism, the Energy Balance, and the Currency of Calories (Level 4)
- Applied Nutrition for Health (Level 4)
- Fuelling for Athletic Performance (Level 4)
- Common Diets, Food Labelling, and the Effects of Marketing (Level 4)
- Supplemental Aids and Strategising Nutritional Goals for Clients (Level 4)
In addition, when you take a personal training course with The Training Room, you will also receive a variety of CPD courses to give you the edge when it comes to personal training and landing your first role in the fitness industry!
Help From the Training Room
As well as first-class training, no matter how you decide to study, whether that be our full-time, or e-learning course, you will be afforded the same invaluable career support from The Training Room. This means that you will have career support from registration on your course for up to 3 years, and this includes a guaranteed interview with one of our big-name corporate partners!
Furthermore, The Training Room also offers funding options - bespoke loan packages designed specifically for our courses. The Training Room loan scheme is designed so that you borrow precisely the right amount for your course and will never borrow too much or too little.
What Are You Waiting For?
Start your journey towards becoming a personal trainer today and learn more about the benefits of a career in the health and gym sector.
See what our learners are saying about us