We love to hear back from our students and see them excelling within their desired careers! We recently caught up with our former Software Developement student Lewis who has recently landed himself a job as a GIS Technician quickly after finishing off his course with us. Find out more about our Lewis' journey, motivations and success story below:
1. What was the reason you chose to take a Software development course? What were your motivations for getting into the GIS industry?
The main reason I chose to do a software development course was to supplement my existing skills/qualifications in order to qualify as someone who would be desired in the GIS industry. GIS has always been my priority ever since leaving University, so I was always on the lookout for opportunities to develop in that direction. Other than that, I have always been interested in software, especially the coding side of things so it was a no-brainer really.
2. What were you doing before the course?
I was out of work for medical reasons and looking for a new, fresh start in an industry I’d like to work in.
3. Why did you choose The Training Room? How did you hear about us?
I can’t exactly remember where I first saw The Training Room, but I knew they were the right choice almost immediately after doing some research into the best places to do a software development course.The very positive reviews played a big part in that.
4. What did you enjoy about the course?
I enjoyed studying at my own pace and using the incredibly easy-to-use teaching site. It made the experience much more pleasant than conventional studying.
5. Were you able to fit your course around other commitments/your lifestyle?
Yes, I was. The Training Room gives you plenty of time and space to complete the course at your own leisure. You can decide how much time you’d like to commit per day, which was great since I had other commitments.
6. What was your experience of the course? Was your tutor helpful? Did you feel supported during your studies?
My experience overall was great! The tutors (shoutout to Paul) were incredibly helpful and got back to me with answers to questions very quickly. Support was always there if needed, however, luckily I got a good grasp on things relatively quickly and didn’t need much assistance.
7. What’s the biggest challenge you encountered on your course?
The exams for sure. The exams were incredibly varied in structure, length and difficulty which meant you never really knew what to expect. Other than that, I have concluded that Java as a language is my Kryptonite!
8. How have you used your qualification?
My qualifications played a massive part in getting my new job as a GIS technician, so soon after getting them, I have already used them!
9. Did you utilize the career support team? How did they help you?
Not as much I’d thought. I had some brief conversations about my CV but other than that not really. This was no fault of their own however, since I was offered a job pretty much days after qualifying so there was no need to use the Career support service!
10. Tell me about your career since graduating from The Training Room – what have you done and what does your future look like?
I am a few months into my new job as a GIS technician and the future looks good! There is a lot of progression possible not only in the company, but also within the industry itself.
11. Have you completed any other training since graduating with us?
I decided that this course would be my last educational outing. I’ve decided to put down the books and focus on a career.
12. Having completed the course, what advice would you give people who are considering it themselves? What advice would you give current students?
I would say that if you decide that you want a career in Software development, or anything that may require the skills of a software developer, this course is for you! However, I’d recommend that you make sure you are financially able to do the course and that you have enough time to commit to it.
13. What advice would you give to anyone thinking of taking a course with us?
If you are considering taking a course with The Training Room, go for it! It’s an opportunity to develop yourself and open doors previously closed. It's 100% worth it in the long run.